My Spiritual Journey

How one person overcame her falls, with the love of the One Above All

Friday, January 14, 2005

It's a month to Valentines!!

Yupyup, and I just happened to be looking into 'My Documents', and came across this article that I wrote for school - our online magazine, The Urbanwire. Check it out (by students of Ngee Ann Poly) http://www.theurbanwire.com

Anyway, just thought I'd share it with you. I'm so different now, looking back at it. I like my poem though. The whole article reminds me of my teenage years. If I'm not wrong, it was written in 2003. Me was 20 years old. There is one part where I said, 'someone special, the GUY' (phew luckily I didn't say guy of my dreams), now since I'm no longer in a relationship, I'm like wow, did I actually think that and looking back it feels so wierd. It just goes to show that things can change. You may think that things will last forever, that friendships (i will post about this on a later blog too) will never change, that I'm so in LOVE with this person, but haha... trust me, its only for that point in time.. you never know what might happen. Of course, then again, if its meant to be, you'd still be happily together. :) Something I've gone through, learnt and would like to share with everyone.

I think the most important thing... about life and relationships.. is sharing about them with others. Its how you can bond and grow together and feel that you are not alone. After all, we are all the same.. human beings with feelings, with the same blood that runs in our veins, two eyes, a mouth etc... going through life with trials,tribulations, joys, sufferings....we are definitely not alone. And the beauty of it is that, God made himself MAN and came down to earth, and SUFFERED and DIED for us.... he knows everything that we are going through (coz he's been through it too) and understands so very well. The only thing is, difference is, that because he is GOD, his love is UNFAILING... meaning he will never, ever leave us no matter what.

Yayyyy.... its like I am telling myself and reaffirming all this. Thank you Jesus for helping me realise!!


This year's Valentines... I'll be spending it with GOD! Yeah!! Nothing beats being in love with God I tell you... and God's love... will last forever. :)

Enjoy... and God Bless

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The (NOT so) Long & Short of Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Valentine’s Valentine’s. Don’t you just love Valentine’s Day? Some would, some wouldn’t, to some it’s just like any old day, to others, they wish it would last forever. Some care two hoots about it. And to some, every single day is Valentine’s Day to them, because they make it to be.

When I was a teenybopper, Valentine’s Day was a day for lovers. I used to yearn that the guy of my dreams (at that time) would be my boyfriend and thus Valentine’s would be ours. I sent him an e-card to which he replied – (which had my hopes up) only to have him say that he treated me as his best sister. Ouch. L

A year later, still in secondary school, I decided that even though I do not have a sweetheart to celebrate it with, I must celebrate it somehow and the night before I was up till the wee hours, making my own Valentine’s Day card – in the shape of a heart – and making as many as possible, to give to all my friends or simply anyone I met whom I knew that day in school.

It was well reciprocated with pleased looks and happiness clearly shown, thus I too was happy. True, you don’t have to give people things just because it is Valentine’s. But somehow, it’s the thoughts and the efforts made, and the rewards of seeing people filled with joy that make it all worthwhile. Thus Valentine’s Day became a day of friendship for me.

A few years later, when I just started poly, Valentine’s was pretty painful for me. I had just broken up with my first boyfriend, and thinking that Valentines was the day for lovers as most people put it out to be, I was feeling pretty wistful. However, in that same year, a classmate of mine went around giving all his female friends a flower, which I thought was really sweet. It reminded me that Valentines is not just a day for lovers. Its for friends too, and family.

A year after that, Valentine’s was just an ordinary day to me. I met some friends in town for project discussion, and there were lots of people selling flowers and soft toys on the streets. Is that the meaning of Valentine’s though? Merely gifts? Well, after the meeting, I made my way back home and except for a friend sending me a cute picture message through short message send (SMS) wishing me Happy Valentine’s, it was just an ordinary day.

This year, being different, as I’ve finally found my special someone, the GUY whom I can finally spend a Valentine’s Day with, and I’m looking forward to it. However, thinking of all the projects and assignments I have to do, I wonder if we could ever celebrate it at all. Moaning and groaning this to him, he says, “Baby, isn’t everyday Valentine’s to us?”

Reminiscing all the past Valentine’s Days that I’ve been through, and thinking of this upcoming one, I come to the conclusion that Valentine’s Day isn’t just for lovers. It’s a day for friends and family too. It isn’t a day to spend excessive money on chocolates and sweets and presents or gifts because really, it’s the thought that counts, and its up to the individual to express that in their own special way, be it on Valentine’s or not.

If it’s a long day for you, because you think it’s just like any old hectic day, that it’s a day for lovey dovey couples and not you, just bear with it. After all, everyone has his or her day. If it’s a short one, because you are going to celebrate but think that school or work takes up most of your time, then make every day your Valentine’s Day. Really, it relies on you. But for me, Valentine’s is a special day. It’s a special day just for my loved ones and me. And that is why I’m going to celebrate it. And it is never too short for me, because even though February 14th is only once a year, I can always make everyday my Valentine’s Day. J

And thus said, I leave you with this:

Rose are Red,
Violets are Blue,
Valentine’s Day is coming,
What does it mean to you?

Candies and chocolates,
Flowers and hearts,
Is this the meaning,
Of Valentine’s to impart?

Friends and lovers,
And family too…
The meaning of Valentine’s
Depends on you

Be it long or short,
Be it fast or slow,
Valentine’s is just a day
As you might as well know

So if it’s a long day,
Make it short
Smile at someone,
You wouldn’t lose a lot

And if it’s a short day,
Too many things to do,
Just remember,
Everyday could be Valentines,
Its up to you!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home