My Spiritual Journey

How one person overcame her falls, with the love of the One Above All

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Social Work

Hi.
I’m pretty subdued today. What a week it has been. First of all, I had been sick for almost the entire week. It was terrible. Running nose, flu, blocked nose, cannot breathe properly, sore throat, cough, all very painful. Sigh.

I just want to say that I don’t like that guy anymore. Its funny how a certain incident or something can happen to open you eyes and then you see that that person was not whom you thought he was at all. I’m not sad, rather I’m happy. My prayers for me to get over it has been answered. I just leave my love life into God’s hands and I know He will find the right person for me.

Secondly, I finally went for the trial for the social work. Yep. Thursday and Friday. Thursday I started off in the morning at KK Hospital, Class C ward. To talk to the mums who just gave birth about the Healthy Start Programme. Haha, it was okay… I saw how the girl I was attached too did it… which didn’t really help much since she talked to some of them the day before so it was easier. Some of them were quite friendly, but some were hesitant. One of them asked me whether the towel (with the hotline number printed on it) was free or whether she had to pay.

I spent a bit of time talking to the girl I was attached with during lunch. It seems she has a degree from NUS!! She’s one of the only ones though who has qualifications. She said that it is one of the only organisations that accept people who don’t have the qualifications. She’s 24. Anyway, after lunch, it was home visits. Yes, a huge part of what they do is to visit the families at their homes. The people were not in at the homes we visited together, but she told me to go to 3 homes on my own later. My mom had a shocked when I told her this. She said what if they were to beat me up. I was a bit afraid too, not of being beaten up, but because I had no idea what to ask them!!! It’s like they were just referring me a case to follow up but with not much of information. Anyway for the first 2 houses I went, no one was in. The 3rd one, the guy was in, and he was quite happy and friendly that I visited. He was actually waiting for them to get back to him, which made me think, were they sitting on it. He’s 32 years old and divorced, and has to support his other family. His wife is 18. He earns $700 a month, and they have a 9 month old baby. Anyway, I was dead tired coz I was walking the whole day. From Tiong, we walked to a house in Lengkok Bahru. Then we walked to office at Bukit Merah View. Then I walked to a house at Taman Ho Swee. Then I took bus to Crescent and walked to find Blk 4 and 16. Haha.

The next day, Friday, was supposed to meet the Assistant Director in the office. We went to a house that was referred to us by the MP (the guy approached her for assistance) and she told me to take over and I had to do the talking. Ok, so I asked all the info I could and then after that I was at a loss so I handed it over to her. Which was good, coz then I learnt that were we come in, is only to provide the subsidy. She sat down with me after that and explained it to me. Finally haha… that I was clear about it. Then after lunch, I went again house visiting with another girl. We went to one house and she started talking away in Malay to the family. Then the next house, she told me to do the talking but as soon as she entered, she monopolised the whole conversation, as she met the ‘client’ before. I told her so, but she said I could have at least played with the kids. Haha, I knew that was it… she’s gonna give me a bad report. She also said that if I’m in mass comm., I should be very vocal. Yeah yeah. Anyway, there was one more house to go to on my own which I did. After that it was evaluation time, but I had to wait for a bit. So the AD sat me down and told me she talked to the 2 girls who were attached to me.. and she said they felt I was a bit ‘soft’ and that I wouldn’t be able to take the pressure and stress. They needed someone ‘gung ho’ haha... and who would just react as she was saying that sometimes they receive suicide calls and you’re supposed to just react and not think. Haha, ok, she has a point. I’m a bit laidback. But somehow I couldn’t help but feel that it’s also because I didn’t speak to the family that I went to with that gal coz she was talking the whole time. Anyway, she said she was unsure, and would get back to me, latest by Monday. I was in a dilemma then. Do I want it. I was thinking God would only give it to me if I want it. I wanted to sit down and talk to Him. But it was difficult to coz I was so sick by then. I didn’t have a chance tho. Around 8pm already she smsed me saying that they could not offer me the position. Oh well. I was disappointed believe me. Disappointed that I would still be stuck at my current job!!! That was the main one. Other than that, I mean, whatever happened happened. It was not the end of the world. I only was disappointed as I would not have any other openings elsewhere because this was one of the few organisations that accepted people with no related qualifications. Nevertheless I truly believe that my calling is social work. After all, how did I come to the deduction after discerning and praying that it was social work? Couldn’t been the devil right. And also, God was the one that gave me the opportunity to experience the 2 days with them. Coz I did not go all out to look for it anyway. So I truly believe that He will provide me the opportunity again. Perhaps now is to prep myself up… to experience how it is like, to finish up my unfinished business… and He will provide the way for me. Amen.
P.S. I just wanted to say that for last week prayers, something amazing happened again. It was only 4 of us – Kem, Dennis, Jock and me. We started off with free praise. And somehow the song ‘Blessed’ kept coming into my mind. And then later, as we were about to close, Dennis said to sing the song ‘Blessed’. Was that the Holy Spirit or what!!! Hehe. Oh yah and I will be leading again this Friday. I hope to have some quiet time, and I hope that He gives a message for the youth. I think they will be having prayers tonight as well. Jock’s bdae!! Unfortunately, I won’t be able to join them. Had planned for more than a month to go out with my colleagues. Oh well, sometimes you gotta give, sometimes you gotta take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home