My Spiritual Journey

How one person overcame her falls, with the love of the One Above All

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

In Tune with Mission Song Writing Competition

Okay, I did it!!! I submitted my entry!!!

I registered for this competition by Caritas Singapore about a month ago. It was by chance I happened to look at the notice board on the way in to church and saw the poster. I thought this was a great opportunity; I love writing songs - praise and worship - and I love to play the guitar, praise and worship too he he.

As the date drew nearer I worried though.. this kinda thing one needs inspiration, and time.. so far, it was on the back of my mind but I never really sat down to write the song.. my mom asked me why did I wanna sign up for things which I could not do.. and I told her I could do it.. its just that, this and that, time and inspiration, and etc, and etc.. and she encouraged me to pray to the Holy Spirit for inspiration and I decided to go to the Adoration Room last weekend to do it.. Saturday came, a couple of days more to the deadline. I decided to stay at home instead and write the song. Started at about 12.07pm. Ok, it may be easy to come up with the lyrics but what about the melody.. fret fret.. I took up my guitar and tried another way of plucking, instead of my usual strumming.. ok, I got the beat!!! I looked through the notes on the principles of the Church's social teaching... bit by bit I got the lyrics.. I stopped around 2pm to get ready to go to my brother's place to celebrate my mom's and nieces's birthday.

I next looked at the song the following day, Sunday afternoon. The lyrics looked so foreign!!! I thought I forgot the tune.. tried it out...ok, finally I got the beat again.. so I recorded it in church, in St. Michael's Room.. nice and quiet.. with my mom there, for her opinion... gosh, I was so nervous!!! She is my mom and yet I took a while to warm up and get over my nervousness and play for her.. okie, good, she likes it!!! and then it was time for mass. The song was far from perfect, but I thought I had a few more days, to the deadline, the 15th of July. And there was another nagging thought, how do I convert the amr file, which all recording formats done from mobile phones are. A friend reassured that I could get the free converter online. I tried searching briefly before but thought I saw that I had to pay for it. Another person assured that she could help me convert the file, as she had the converter. Okie, good, now all I had to do was practise, and record the song again.

Monday, 13th July. My mom's 70th birthday!!! Yayyy, had a wonderful time celebrating with her, whole day was out, morning at work, afternoon and night celebrating. When I reached home, it was close to midnight. I tried recording it in my kitchen (quiet) but could not.. too tired to do a good recording, and the background, no good. So decided to come back to church today, Tuesday, 14 July. One day before the deadline!!!

Today I let my colleagues hear my song. My singing was terrible, but ok, they had smiles on their faces!!! Good sign but Uh oh, they could not make out my lyrics though. A colleague had a great suggestion which I bore in mind. Ok, after work, it was back to church and recording at St. Michael's Room. Had my mom and sister with me. It's great to have family support. Record from 8 until 9, still did not get it perfect, but my energy was failing... my finger grip kept for the chords slipping, I kept fumbling, the strumming was going off... I was too tired.. and so was my mom.. (she chimed in for some parts!!! :D) so we decided to use one of the recordings we did earlier and we left for home.

At home, close to 11pm, I went online and eagerly searched for the friend who promised to help me convert the song.. however, she suddenly was not very willing to help and threw her weight around, and I was close to tears... another friend helped.. (thats you Nat, thanks!!!) and sent me a link, but after I downloaded, I could not open the file as a part was missing or something. I was getting desperate.. I was so tired, I kept searching online, but everything I kept downloading failed.. did not know anyone whom I could approach for help and did not really want to disturb those whom I thought might know... one download finally worked, but because I did not have the product key, they had a couple of voiceovers on my song... Really, I was at my wits end and kept crying out to God for help... kept on trying... and finally, I managed to convert the file with one of the downloads that I downloaded!!! Praise and thank God he heard my prayer!!!! And it was a great feeling - the feeling of doing things independently - trying and trying and finally succeeding.. of course it was great coz God helped me with this!!!

And I finally submitted the song!!! The judging will be done on 18th July, this Sat. The cash prizes are very attractive, and the great thing is we don't really have to pay any cash to enter the competition. But what I would really like is, the top 3 winners would get a 2 hour song writing workshop. How wonderful is that. The other good thing is, they don't judge on the singing or the quality of the recording. I really don't sing too well. I know God doesn't mind tho. He he. And I recorded it on my humble mobile phone, not professionally or with a voice recorder. But I really hope I have a chance. To make my family proud - already made them proud with my latest career achievement, to make them proud in this aspect - church related would be great. And to make my friends proud too. And to praise God!!! Cross fingers, I'm praying and hoping for the best!!! :D :D

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home